What Constitutes Social Sciences?
Social Sciences is the system of knowledge about the nature, growth and functioning of human societies. By understanding society, we learn not only the conditions that limit our lives, but also the opportunities open to us for improving the human condition.
Administrative Structure of the Faculty
The School of social sciences is one of the biggest schools in the University in terms of student and members of staff. It offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and short courses under four Departments; namely Political Science and Public Administration, Sociology, Social Work and Social Administration. The School is headed by the Dean.
The school Board, consisting of all Academic Staff and representatives of the Administrative staff, support staff and students’, deliberates school matters. The Board also operates through sub-committees to make important decisions. These include Heads of Departments Committee, Higher Degrees and Research Grants, Staff Development, Appointments and Promotions and Finance Committees. Faculty Board decisions are transmitted to the University Senate for discussion, confirmation and recommendation to the University Council.
- The Mission of the School of social sciences
The Faculty’s Mission is to enhance excellence in the training of high level human resource for national development, to generate knowledge through research, thereby creating opportunities for individual professional growth, as well as increasing institutional capacity building by providing advanced knowledge and skills in Social Sciences.
The main objectives of the Faculty are:
- To provide high quality and relevant education and training and to undertake high quality and relevant research and disseminate the findings.
- To provide an education that caters for the employers’ needs as well as aspirations of the students
- To provide opportunities for students and staff development and generation of knowledge for professional growth.
- To improve the curriculum of the Social Sciences degrees by increasing the number of courses, which are relevant to the country's contemporary needs.
- To participate in community outreach and forging strong linkage with the private sector.
- To achieve and maintain high calibre and well motivated staff
- To achieve equity and gender inclusiveness in all Faculty activities.